Fort Reno
   Fort Reno (1865-1868) - Established first as Fort Conner by the 6th Michigan Cavalry on 14 Aug 1865 and named for their commander Brig. Gen. Patrick Connor. It was constructed as a supply depot during the Powder River Expeditions. The name was changed to Fort Reno on 11 Nov 1865 after Maj. Gen. Jesse L. Reno, who was killed in the U.S. Civil War at the Battle of South Mountain.
   Fort Reno was located on a high plateau on the banks of the Powder River, near the mouth of Dry Fork Creek and was surrounded by eight-foot wood stockade, 120 feet square, with bastions on the northwest and southeast corners for protection. During the fall of 1865, workers constructed other buildings outside of the stockade, including two barracks, two officers' quarters, hospital, shops, teamsters' quarters, and two sutler's buildings. All of the buildings had sod-covered roofs and dirt floors. Water obtained by wagon from Powder River. Wood obtained locally.
   In Aug 1865, Companies C and D of the 5th U.S. Volunteers, and Company A, Omaha Scouts, relieved the Michigan cavalry. Under the command of Capt. George M. Bailey, they garrisoned the isolated fort during the harsh winter of 1865-66.
   During Red Cloud's War the following summer, Col. Henry B. Carrington of the 18th U.S. Infantry led a force of 700 men into the Powder River country to begin construction of two other new posts farther to the north. They reached Fort Reno on June 28, 1866, and stayed two weeks. When he left on July 9, Carrington left behind two companies to replace the existing volunteer garrison. The newly arrived Regular Army soldiers constructed a log stockade around the unprotected garrison buildings, complete with log bastions . They also built a sturdy adobe commander's quarters. In 1867, the post was renovated and expanded. The garrison (whose number ranged from 125 to a high of 300 soldiers).
   Chief Red Cloud redoubled his efforts in the spring of 1867 against the three forts and travel on the Bozeman Trail was all but cut off.
   As a result of the military reversals and increasing pressure from the Indians under Red Cloud the U.S. Government capitulated and negotiated the 1868 Treaty of Fort Laramie, which resulted in the abandonment of three forts (Fort Reno, Fort Phil Kearny, and Fort C.F. Smith) and the cessation of travel on the Bozeman Trail. The Sioux Indians destroyed the three forts immediately after the troops had left the country.
   Fort Reno was abandoned on 18 Aug 1868 under provisions of the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty.
   New Fort Reno, Along Powder River about 3 miles South of Fort Reno. Difficult to find without local help.

  

If you have any information on any historical fort’s in Wyoming or any military records from these old forts, or family stories about these forts and would like to share them with our viewers please email the Administrator for Wyoming Old Forts.

Return To Trails To The Past Forts Project

Return to Historic Wyoming Forts

Copyright - Trails to the Past - Monday, 24-Nov-2014 11:17:37 MST