JOHN F. BARNES
One of Wyoming's successful stockmen, John F. Barnes, is a native of Missouri and a son of Joseph and Jane (Bennight) Barnes, the father born in Alabama, and the mother in the same state in which their son, John, first saw the light of day. Joseph Barnes settled in Dent county, Mo., as early as 1844. and became one of the prosperous farmers of that part of the state. After remaining there until 1868, he migrated to northern Arkansas, where he spent the remainder of his life in agricultural pursuits, dying in Sharp county in August. 1875; Mrs. Barnes preceded her husband to the other world, departing this life in Missouri in 1863. John F. Barnes was born on November 17, 1857, in Dent county. Mo., and, at the age of ten, he accompanied the family to Arkansas. He was reared on the farm and spent his early life as his father's assistant, growing up with a strong constitution, which enabled him easily to withstand the rough usage he afterwards experienced on the range. He remained at home until he was about sixteen years old, when he severed the ties which bound him to the family fireside, and, in company with his brother, Thomas, returned to Dent county, Mo., where they there engaged in farm work. Subsequently he quit that kind of labor and found employment in the mines of Dent county, following the latter vocation until coming to Wyoming in 1883. During the six years following his arrival in this state, Mr. Barnes worked on different ranches near Cheyenne, meantime becoming associated with a Mr. Blackwell in the cattle business, the two taking up land in Laramie county, about twenty miles east of Fort Laramie. They stocked their place, after which Mr. Barnes returned to his work near Cheyenne, leaving his partner to look after their mutual interests on the ranch. Mr. Barnes continued in the employment of various parties until 1889, when he returned to his ranch to assist in the management of the business, which had gradually grown in magnitude and importance during the intervening years. Mr. Barnes and Mr. Blackwell kept up their partnership until 1894, at which time the latter sold his interest to Mr. Barnes, who thus became sole proprietor. Since that year he has steadily continued to build up a prosperous business and, at the present time, he has a fine herd of cattle, which, with the ranch in his possession, represents a fortune of sufficient magnitude to place him in independent circumstances. .Mr. Barnes is a man of enterprise, indued with the true western spirit which seldom fails to win success. While primarily interested in his own affairs, he has not been unmindful of his duty to the community, consequently all movements for the public welfare find in him a zealous patron, and, to the extent of his ability, a liberal supporter. Personally, he enjoys the confidence of his fellow citizens and is popular with all parties with whom he mingles. He is a liberal provider for his family and has a comfortable home, which is the abode of a genuine western hospitality, freely dispensed to all who claim it. The marriage of Mr. Barnes and Miss Catherine Weber was solemnized near Fort Laramie on March 10, 1897. Mrs. Barnes was born in Idaho, being the daughter of John and Mary Weber, natives of Germany and early settlers of the Platte River Valley. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have two bright children, Della G. and Alice M., in whom are centered many hopes for the future.
This respected retired stock raiser, having a ranch located twelve miles west of Fort Laramie, and situated on the Laramie River, although a resident of that section for only three or four years, is widely known and exceedingly popular. He was born in Franklin county, Ohio, on September 13, 1846, a son of Rev. Jesse D. and Rebecca (Vinrick) Bright, natives of Pennsylvania. The father was a minister of the Methodist church for forty years and at various times was stationed in different middle and eastern states, being recognized as a zealous, ardent and eloquent expounder of the Gospel and a pious Christian. He had been living near Independence. Kan., about three years when his untimely death was caused by a runaway accident on July 3, 1872, to the unspeakable grief of his family and of a large circle of warm-hearted friends. The remains of the unfortunate divine were sadly lowered into their last resting place in the consecrated earth attached to the house of worship in which the flock over which he had presided in life paid their devotion, and deep and bitter was the mourning at his loss. His widow did not long survive him. but passed away in 1877 and was buried in Linn county, Kan. John N. Bright was educated in Illinois and Kansas and, as his father had a farm near Independence, Kan., John N. aided in the cultivation of this until he went to Missouri and engaged in farming near on his own account. He prospered fairly until 1869, when he returned to Kansas and entered a homestead in county, cultivated it until 1878, and then went to the lead mines in the southeastern part of the state, thence he crossed the line into Colorado, where he engaged in mining for about three years. In February, 1883, Mr. Bright came to Wyoming and settled on his present ranch and embarked in cattle raising, in which he did a large business until the fall of 1899, when he turned over its management to his two sons, who have proved to be worthy successors of their father. Mr. Bright, however, keeps a general supervision over the affairs of the ranch, passing his leisure hours at his model home in Hartville. He has been a good business man in every sense of the word, and has valuable . Besides his resident property, he owns several lots in , which he does not fail to turn to good account, and his ranch of 360 acres bids fair soon to become increased in its dimensions, as his sons continue to prosper. John N. Bright was married on November 18, 1866, in Georgetown, Mo., to Miss Frances A. Barnes, a native of Missouri and a daughter of Joseph and Mary A. (Coy) Barnes, who came from their native state of Tennessee to Missouri in a very early day. Joseph Barnes was a loyal Unionist and served in the Seventh Missouri Infantry during the Civil War and, after returning from the performance of his duty in the military service of his country, he settled down in Cedar county, Mo., and engaged in farming until called away by death in November, 1870. His remains were interred in the county in which he died; his widow died in January, 1895, and was buried in Saline county, Mo. To the marriage of John N. and Frances A. Bright have been born six children, Della, who died August 8, 1878, when but thirteen months old, and whose remains lie buried near Independence, Mo.; Altar (Gardener) ; M. Rosa (St. Clair): Ova and Ora, twins, of whom Ova died October 16, 1881, when sixteen months old, and was buried beside her sister Della. John N. Bright is a public-spirited citizen and a loyal Union man. In 1864 he volunteered in the One Hundred and Forty-third Illinois Infantry to aid in defending the integrity of the nation, but served four months only on account of ill health, yet he has promptly aided all measures of a local character designed to promote the welfare of the community.
A young and enterprising man of distinctive force of character and strong mentality, the subject of this review is a creditable representative of that large and progressive class of Western men whose lives and energies are devoted to the live stock industry. William L. Connelly, a son of Charles P. and Mary (Hanna) Connelly, was born near Charlestown, West Virginia, on February 15, 1868. In 1869 these parents moved to Muscatine county, Iowa, where the father lived the life of a farmer until his death, the following year. Mrs. Connelly died some years later, and was laid to rest by the side of her husband, near their home in the county of Muscatine. William L. Connelly received his educational training in the public schools of the above county, and at the early age of sixteen was obliged to rely upon his own resources for a livelihood. Actuated by a desire to seek his fortune in the Great West, he started, in the spring of 1885, for Wyoming, and, reaching his destination, in due time, secured employment with the management of the P. F. cattle ranch, on the Platte River, in Laramie county. From the above date until 1892 he rode the range in various parts of the country, working for different parties, but in the latter year took up a ranch ten miles east of Fort Laramie, where he has since been actively engaged in the live stock business, and is a large raiser of alfalfa. Mr. Connelly exercised discreet judgment in selecting his ranch, which lies in a rich and beautiful grazing district, and which, with the attractive cottage, and other improvements he has since added, has greatly enhanced its value. It is now one of the most desirable places of its area in Laramie county, in many respects being an ideal home for a family of intelligence, good taste and enterprise. Mr. Connelly has succeeded well in his business undertakings, by industry and good management accumulating a comfortable competence, sufficient, in fact, to place him in independent circumstances, so far as any anxiety for the financial future is concerned. He is a shrewd and a far-seeing business man, in all transactions with which he has been identified his name is a synonym for manly conduct and honorable dealing. At this time he owns 400 acres, for which he has warranty deeds, and 1,100 acres acquired by pre-empting. With this amount of real-estate in his possession, all rapidly increasing in value, it is eminently proper to predict for him a career of continued prosperity. Mr. Connelly is a married man, the father of four bright and interesting children, whose names are: Catherine, Bernice. Frederick and Marion; the first born, Lawrence, is not living. The maiden name of Mrs. Connelly was Grace E. Snyder, and the ceremony by which it was changed to the one she now bears was solemnized at Chadron. Neb., on January 31, 1892. Mrs. Connelly is the daughter of Thomas B. and Sarah J. ( Spaulding) Snyder, the father being a well-known and prosperous stockman of Nebraska. In his political adherence, Mr. Connelly is a pronounced Republican. While earnest in the support of his principles, he has no political aspirations, preferring the independent life he now leads to any office within the gift of the people.
Prominent among the younger generation of ranchmen is the well-known and highly esteemed gentleman whose name furnishes the caption of this review. Thrown upon his own resources at an age when the majority of lads are the especial objects of their parents' anxious care and solicitude, and making his own way in the face of experiences calculated to try the mental and moral fiber and develop what is of genuine worth in the individual, he gradually surmounted unfavorable environment, forging to the front by the sheer force of will, has now not only a fair measure of pecuniary success, but the right to worthily wear the title of self-made man. Joseph R. Graham, who lives near Fort Laramie, was born on May 4, 1868, in the city of Leavenworth. Kan. His father, Joseph Graham, was a native of Kentucky, and his mother, who bore the maiden name of Mellie J. Foster, was also born and reared in the beautiful Blue Grass state. Soon after the close of the great Civil War these parents emigrated to Missouri, thence a little later to Kansas, there settling on a farm in Leavenworth county, where the father carried on agriculture and stock raising until his removal in 1890 to the territory of Oklahoma. Mr. Graham is still a resident of Oklahoma, where, as in his former places of residence, he is engaged in cultivating the soil and raising live stock, meeting with encouraging results in his business affairs. The childhood days and early youth of his son, Joseph R. Graham, were spent under the parental roof and as opportunities afforded he attended the public schools, acquiring a fair knowledge of the branches constituting the curriculum. He grew up a continued help to his parents, but possessing a somewhat restless nature, and being actuated by a desire to see something of the world, he severed the bonds which united him to his home at the early age of thirteen and made his way to Idaho. Soon after reaching his destination he went to work running cattle, and was thus engaged in the southern part of the above territory until 1882 when he went to Nevada. Here he soon became a full-fledged, and thoroughly experienced cowboy, and continued as such in Nevada until 1884, in the spring of which year he came to Wyoming, and engaged with a ranchman near Cheyenne, in working there on the range until the latter part of the year following. In 1885 he came to the section of the country which he has since made the base of his operations in the cattle business, from that date until 1895 working the range over various parts of Montana. South Dakota and Nebraska. In 1895 he began ranching in this part of the state, and, after following that work until 1900, he took up his present ranch on the Platte River, two miles northwest of Fort Laramie and engaged in cattle raising upon his own responsibility. He had experienced an interesting and an adventurous career, frequently marked by experiences of a thrilling character, and his wild, free life on the range has had a wholesome effect in building up a healthy, vigorous physique and in developing a spirit of self-reliance peculiarly helpful to a man of his calling. He began life for himself in a limited financial way, but by his shrewd management, discriminating judgment and wise foresight he gradually much increased the magnitude of his business and is now on the straight highway to highly deserved success. On April 3, 1903, he was married at Fort Laramie, Wyo., to Miss Emma Kenast, a native of Germany and also being a daughter of Frederick and Wilhelmina (Borman), who came to Wyoming from the Fatherland in 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Graham also have one child, a bright boy named LeRoy, who was born on November 26. 1893. Mr. Graham has a pleasant residence on his attractive ranch and is well situated to enjoy the comforts and conveniences of life which he has accumulated. Personally he is a most pleasant and affable gentleman, popular with all who know him, and possesses the happy faculty of making and retaining warm friendships. Young in years, but old in experiences, full of energy and enthusiasm, it is eminently proper to predict for him a long and useful, as well as a financially successful career in years to come. Mr. Graham and wife are members of the Lutheran church and endeavor to make their lives correspond with their faith.
This experienced cattle raiser and rancher has resided eleven miles east of Fort Laramie since 1890 and is about as well and favorably known as any cattleman in the country. He was born in Washington county, Virginia, on January 8, 1860, a son of Hiram and Nancy (Gobble) Hudson, whose ancestors located in the Old Dominion in Colonial days, the family being in each generation very prominent in the state. The father of Emory B. was a teacher, which profession he followed until his death in 1861, when his remains were interred in Washington .county, Va., while his widow survived him until May 5, 1902, when she too passed away, her remains being deposited in Laramie county, Wyo., where she had made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Knott, for two years previous to her death. Emory B. Hudson lived until eighteen years old with his mother in Virginia, in the meantime acquiring an education. On attaining this age he made a trip to Kansas and Nebraska, working in those states until the fall of 1879, when he changed the field of his operations to Colorado, there located near Fort Collins and went to work for Cross & Harris, dealers in and importers .of horses. He left this employment in the spring of 1884 and took a position on a ranch near Cheyenne, for about eight months, then returned to Fort Collins, where he remained until March, 1886, most of the time running a ranch. In the spring of 1886 Mr. Hudson came to that part of Wyoming where he now resides and entered the employ of the Pratt & Ferris Cattle Co. on one of their ranches until the fall of that year, when he was appointed, foreman of their two ranches on the Platte River, a position he held to their great satisfaction until the spring of 1899, when he came to his present ranch, eleven miles east of Fort Laramie, which he had taken up in 1890. He has 280 acres of land under irrigation, 475 head of cattle, fifty head of horses, and has just completed a fine cottage and is now well prepared to settle down to the enjoyment of the comforts of life, to which his long career of industry justly entitles him. Emory B. Hudson entered into the bonds of matrimony on February 14, 1879, in Washington county, Va., with Miss Cynthia E. Garrett, a daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Purcell) Garrett, all natives of Virginia. This happy marriage has resulted in adding to the population of Wyoming seven interesting children, F. Ray, Clara M., Pearl F., Mabel L., Leslie R., Hazel and Lillian E. These children have all been well educated and reared to be useful members of society and a credit to the country. Mrs. Hudson is a devout and useful member of the Christian Baptist church, being an active participant in its good works, and in politics Mr. Hudson is a staunch worker for the Democratic party, in which he has implicit faith. He is a public-spirited and patriotic citizen and an intelligent and enterprising ranchman, well deserving the high esteem in which he is held.
No better can be pronounced upon a community or upon its individual members than to point out the work they have accomplished. Theories look fine on the printed page and sound well when proclaimed from the platform, but in the end it is effort in the various lines of industrial activity which proclaims the man and benefits the world. This is essentially a utilitarian age and the man of action is everywhere and very much in evidence. Such a man is John Hunton, the subject of this review, and as such it is both pleasant and profitable to contemplate briefly his career and character. Intimately associated for many years with the business interests and industrial development of Laramie county and taking an active part in its public affairs, he has not been underestimated by the people, who have learned to appreciate his true value as a potential factor with the body politic. It is well for any man if he can trace his family history to a substantial and creditable ancestry. In this respect John Hunton is peculiarly fortunate. He comes of two old and highly esteemed Virginia families, tracing his lineage in unbroken succession back to the sixteenth century on the father's side and to the early part of the seventeenth century on the side of the mother. The Huntons are English and the family has been prominent in the public affairs of Virginia from Colonial times to the present day. Not only does the name occupy a conspicuous place in local annals, but a number of the Huntons appear to have achieved a state reputation by reason of distinguished service in various avenues of public life. Alexander Hunton, father of John Hunton, was born and reared in Madison county and attained to high standing as a citizen. He spent all of his life in his native county and lived to be quite old, dying in February, 1898, at the age of eighty-six. Elizabeth Carpenter, wife of Alexander Hunton and mother of the one of whom we are now writing, was a native of the same county and state in which her husband was born, and survived him but a few months, departing this life in August, 1898. She was also eighty-six years old at her death, and, as already indicated, belonged to one of the oldest families in the county of Madison, being descended from German ancestors. John Hunton is a native of Madison county, Va., and dates his birth on January 18, 1839. Like the majority of country lads he grew up familiar with the various details of farm labor and in the schools of his neighborhood acquired a good practical education. Nothing occurred to break the even tenor of his life until the national atmosphere became murky with the approaching clouds of Civil War, when he joined a local militia company which was ordered to Harper's Ferry during the celebrated attack on that post by John Brown. When the great struggle finally broke out he favored the cause of the South, enlisting in Coo. A, Seventh Virginia Infantry, with which he shared the fortunes and vicissitudes of war until the Confederacy went down at . During his military experience Mr. Hunton took part in some of the most noted campaigns that marked that troublous period, participating in a number of the bloodiest battles of the war, in all of which his conduct was all that could be expected of a brave and gallant soldier. Among the more notable actions was that of Gettysburg, where his regiment formed part of Picket's Division, and it fell to him to follow that brave and chivalrous leader in one of the most gallant and fearless assaults in the annals of warfare. At the close of the war Mr. Hunton went west, stopping first in Missouri, thence a little later going to Nebraska. For about one year he was engaged in freighting across the plains and in the spring of 1867 arrived at Fort Laramie Wyo., where during the ensuing four years he held the position of clerk of the post trader. In 1871 he severed his connection with the fort and turned his attention to cattle raising at Bordeaux, on the Chugwater, where he had charge of a road ranch for about seventeen years, meeting with encouraging success the meanwhile. In August, 1888, he was appointed post trader at Fort Laramie, and held that position until the fort was disbanded in 1890, when he purchased its various buildings from the government and engaged in general merchandising. He has remodeled several of the buildings, and now uses for a residence a house formerly occupied by one of the officers. of the post, having converted the structure into a fine modern dwelling and supplied it with many of the comforts and conveniences of life. In addition to his local business he is engaged in cattle raising, owning a valuable ranch about ten miles west of his place of residence, which is well stocked and under his personal care. He also holds the office of U. S. commissioner for this district, and in connection with its duties and his enterprises already mentioned does quite a business. Being one of the oldest settlers in the vicinity of Fort Laramie, he is familiar with every part of Laramie (Goshen) county and is considered an authority on all matters relating to its lands. He is consulted by parties desiring to locate in this section of the country and his advice and counsel have been of especial value in assisting home seekers and those who come west for the purpose of engaging in cattle raising and other lines of industry. Mr. Hunton was married in his native county and state on October 5. 1881, to Miss Blanche Taylor, a daughter of John W. and Mary (Crawford) Taylor of Virginia. Like his own family his wife's people are also highly connected, having long been closely identified with the history of Madison county. Mrs. Hunton is of Irish descent and traces her lineage back to an early period in this country, and still more remotely to the beautiful Emerald Isle, from whence the family originally came. She is a lady of varied culture, a member of the Episcopal church and of the Daughters of American Revolution, and has faithfully cooperated with her husband in his various business enterprises. Mr. Hunton is a Freemason of high standing, having taken a number of degrees, including those of chapter and commanderv. He is one of the most affable and genial of men and his popularity is bounded only by the limits of his acquaintance. Hospitable and generous, he is a typical western man of the best class, and his influence has long been felt for good in the community where he lives. He is an extensive reader, a close observer and a deep thinker, and it is not too much to say that there are few as intelligent and well-informed men in the West. This statement is made advisedly, in view of the fact that he has one of the largest and most carefully selected private libraries in the state. When not otherwise engaged he spends his time among his beloved books, where, shut in from the world, he holds converse with the greatest and the wisest minds of all times and countries through the medium of their writings. He also keeps himself well posted on current events and upon the great questions and issues of the day he has decided opinions, which he expresses freely when occasion requires, although by. no means of a contentious nature. He always has the "courage of his convictions" and, like men of his intelligence and strong personality, is in a large measure a director of thought and a molder of public opinion. Few men in the county are as widely and favorably known and none stand higher in the confidence of their fellow citizens or have shown themselves more worthy of the esteem in which they are held. In closing this sketch it is proper to state that no man in Wyoming is as well acquainted with the early history of Fort Laramie and its vicinity as is Mr. Hunton. This most famous of western posts forms an interesting part of the history of Montana and of all this section of the Rocky Mountain region, and for many years it figured prominently in the annals of the nation. Mr. Hunton was a conspicuous figure during the days of its prosperity, witnessed with regret its abandonment, being now the only one left to weave the thread of personal incident into its long and interesting history.
Among the essentially self-made men of Laramie county who have distinguished themselves for their ability to master opposing conditions and wrest from fortune a creditable measure of success, and an honorable name, is William T. Kelly, who as a soldier and a civilian has made records of which any man might well feel proud. He was born in the city of Baltimore, Maryland, on March 19. 1857, the son of Hugh and Susannah (Parson) Kelly, the father a native of Ireland and the mother of the United States. By occupation Hugh Kelly was a brick maker, who worked at his trade for many years in Baltimore and there died on May 20, 1873. Mrs. Kelly still lives in Baltimore, dividing her time among her several children. The childhood and youthful years of William T. Kelly were passed in his native city and when quite young he began earning money at various kinds of labor, in the meantime attending school and acquiring a fair knowledge of the branches taught, but at the age of nineteen left the home fireside in quest of his own fortune, and on January 17, 1877 he enlisted in Co. D, Seventh U. S. Infantry, and shortly thereafter accompanied his command to Camp Baker, Mont., later known as Fort Logan. In 1878 the regiment was transferred to Fort Snelling, Minn., and from there in 1879 to the upper Missouri, thence in the fall of 1879 returned to Fort Snelling, where it remained until 1880, and then was sent to the Bad Lands to guard the railroad during the trouble with the Sioux Indians and it remained there until the fall of 1881, when it marched to Fort Laramie, Wyo., where Mr. Kelly remained until the expiration of his period of enlistment, when he received his discharge on February 16, 1887. He saw much active service in the course of his military experience, discharged his duties as became a brave and faithful soldier and left the army with the rank of sergeant. After receiving his discharge Mr. Kelly opened a general store at Fairbank, Wyo., was made postmaster at that place and he carried on business for about ten years with encouraging success, at the end of that time selling an interest to another party and retiring from active participation in the business. He was united in marriage with Miss Kate Tomaichel on May 17, 1886, the ceremony taking place at Fort Laramie. Mrs. Kelly was born in Illinois, the daughter of John A. Tomaichel, who for eighteen years was hospital steward at Fort Laramie, himself and his family still living at that place. Mr. and Mrs. Kelly have a pleasant and attractive home in Fairbank, its brightness being heightened by five children, whose names are Corelia E., William T., John A., Lundia and Fred. No man stands today among his fellow citizens with a wider circle of warm and true friends than does Wililam T. Kelly, for he is favorably known throughout this region as a gentleman of unimpeachable integrity and a high sense of honor, while his career in the service of his country is without a stain and nothing savoring in the slightest degree of disrepute has ever attached to his name as a civilian. He is decidedly a man of the people, having their interests at heart and hesitating at no reasonable sacrifice to promote the material and moral welfare of the community in which he lives. Popular with all classes and enjoying the unbounded confidence of those who know him best, it is proper to speak of Mr. Kelly as a fine example of the intelligent and progressive class of typical Americans, whose remarkable enterprise has done so much to transform the Great West and to develop its wonderful resources.
The subject of this sketch is a native of Germany, who, while entertaining fond recollections and tender remembrances of the Fatherland, is none the less a true and loyal citizen of his adopted country, and an admirer and observer of its laws and customs. He was born on March 12, 1841, the son of Godfrey and Christina Kenast, both parents having spent their entire lives in their native land. Frederick was reared on a farm, his father having been a tiller of the soil, and, until the age of fourteen, he remained at home, attending, in the meantime, the public schools near the place of his birth. He grew up imbued with a strong spirit of self-reliance, which was strikingly exemplified in his fourteenth year, when he left the parental roof to make his own way in the world. For some years thereafter he worked in various parts of Germany as a farm hand, and, by industry and thrift, succeeded in laying aside a respectable sum of money, having the object in view of ultimately going to America. Convinced that he could better his conditions in the United States, Mr. Kenast labored for a number of years to arrange for his emigration, but it was not until 1891 that he was enabled to carry out his long standing desire. In that year he brought his family to the New World, and, proceeding direct to Wyoming, took up his present place on the Platte River, west of Fort Laramie and engaged in stock raising. Animated by a determination to succeed, he addressed himself energetically to his undertaking, and, in due time, his industry was crowned with a large measure of success. He remained where he originally settled until 1895, when he moved to the ranch on the Rawhide, where he now lives, although he is still owning his former place, using them both in his business. At the present time he, is running on the latter a large herd of cattle in prime condition, also a number of horses, although he does not raise these animals on an extensive scale. Mr. Kenast has displayed commendable zeal in the prosecution of his business, as is attested by the prosperous condition of the two ranches in his possession, and also by the large number of cattle he raises and markets. He has done well since coming to this country, providing liberally for his family and here making a home, which it would have been impossible to secure under such conditions as obtain in the land of his birth. He attends strictly to his own affairs, belonging to that large and eminently respectable class of people, who make their presence felt by actions rather than by words. He is a man of domestic tastes, a great lover of home and family, devoted in his attachments and friendships. The people of his community hold him in esteem and he has shown himself worthy of this mark of confidence and regard. Mr. Kenast was married in his native country on November 11, 1866, to Miss Wilhelmina Borman, daughter of Christian and Christina Borman, the union having these children: Minnie, Annie, Emma, Gussie, Rena, Mary and Otto.
The subject of this review is one of the many western men whose lives have been largely spent on the range and who, in one of the most wholesome, free and independent of vocations, have provided well for themselves and for those dependent upon them. William F. Lawyer is a native of Pennsylvania, born in the town of Berwick on July 22, 1873. His father, Adam Lawyer, also a native of the Keystone state, is a machinist and worked at his trade in Pennsylvania until 1874, when he moved to Joliet, Illinois, where for a number of years he held an important position in the Joliet Steel Works and later changed his abode to the town of Elburn, where he and his wife are living at the present time. The maiden name of Mrs. Adam Lawyer was Susan Emerick; she likewise was born and reared in Pennsylvania, and is a descendant of old families of that commonwealth. The childhood and youth of William F. Lawyer were spent with his parents, but at the age of fifteen he left home to make his own way in the world. In 1888 he came to Wyoming, making a part of the journey on foot, meeting with many interesting experiences before reaching his destination at Cheyenne. Not long after his arrival, he found employment on the range and from that time until within a comparatively recent date he rode for various parties running cattle in different parts of Wyoming and other territory. In November, 1898, he took up his present ranch, eight miles east of Fort Laramie and adjoining the one owned by his father-in-law, John Weber, and engaged in cattle raising upon his own responsibility. He has made commendable progress since taking possession of his place, having a large number of cattle and horses in prime condition, with every prospect of continued prosperity as the years go by. His long experience on the range has made him familiar with every detail of the stock business and in all matters pertaining to cattle and horses, he is considered not only an excellent judge but an unfailing authority. By close attention to his business and good management, he has succeeded in placing himself in comfortable circumstances, having a ' surplus laid by for the proverbial "rainy day," which soon or late comes unto the lives of the majority of men. Mr. Lawyer is essentially a western man, all his tastes and inclinations leading him to the kind of life to which his time and energies have so long been devoted. Spending his more mature years under conditions peculiar to this part of the country, he takes broad views of life and things and lays his plans in harmony therewith. He possesses tact and judgment in business affairs, and in all transactions with which he has been connected his course has been open and straightforward, his personal honor and integrity being above suspicion. By correct methods he has succeeded in his undertakings and easily ranks with the most enterprising and successful stockmen of the district in which he operates. On December 8, 1898, was solemnized the ceremony which joined Mr. Lawyer and Miss Margarette Weber, daughter of John and Mary Weber, in the bonds of holy wedlock. They have two children, Alary and John.
As the name suggests, the subject of this sketch is of German lineage, although born and reared in the United States. His father. August Lippoldt. was a native of Germany, a farmer by occupation, who left the Fatherland in 1847 and, shortly after reaching America, made his way to Jersey county, Illinois, where he purchased a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits, following that useful vocation until his death, which occurred in 1863. The mother came to the United States two years after the arrival of her husband, and is still living in Illinois. Herman Lippoldt was born on September 22, 1861, in Jersey county, Ill., and grew to manhood on the home farm. Losing his father when less than two years old, he was reared by his mother, who spared no pains in instilling into his young mind correct principles, and inspiring in him a proper appreciation of the true dignity of honest toil. When old enough to be of practical service, he was put to work in the labors of the farm, and, from that time until his nineteenth year, labored diligently for his mother and otherwise looked after her interests. Meanwhile during the seasons, he attended the public schools and acquired an education, which, though by no means as complete as he could desire, has been sufficient to enable him to transact intelligently the duties of a very active business life. In his twentieth year, Mr. Lippoldt severed the ties that bound him to his home and became a tiller of the soil upon his own responsibility, leasing for the purpose land in his native county. Subsequently he went to northern Illinois, where he remained until 1883. then yielded to a desire of long standing by going further west. Impressed with the idea that the Great West abounded in more favorable opportunities for a young man than did his own state, he went to Colorado, where he engaged in freighting with an outfit of his own. After remaining there until the following year, meeting with fair returns for his labor. Mr. Lippoldt came to Wyoming and for about six months worked for a railroad company, with headquarters at Cheyenne. At the expiration of that time, he went back to Colorado, where he was variously employed until 1886, when he returned to Wyoming to again engage in railroad work. The road which, at that time, was in process of construction, runs through the section of country where Mr. Lippoldt now lives, and it was while thus employed by the company that he became favorably impressed with the natural advantages of the region, and determined that, at some future time, he would, if possible, secure a location therein. After some months passed in the employ of the road, he engaged with the Pratt & Ferris Cattle Co., with which he remained until 1897, then severing his connection and moving to a ranch on the Platte River, about nine miles east of Fort Laramie. Mr. Lippoldt took up this ranch in 1893, but was not in a situation to take possession and properly stock it until four years after filing on the land. Through his careful husbanding of his earnings, he found to his credit quite a respectable capital, which was judiciously invested in cattle and horses, thus enabling him to get a very respectable start in the stock business. He made a number of valuable improvements on the ranch, increased his stock from time to time, and succeeded well until the fall of 1901, when he disposed of his cattle and horses and with his family went on an extended visit to his old home in Illinois. Later, Mr. Lippoldt sold his original ranch, but he now owns a fine place of 400 acres on Rawhide Creek, which he has greatly improved and stocked with a number of high-grade horses. It is his intention eventually to resume cattle raising, plans having already been perfected to that end. On March 13, 1899, Mr. Lippoldt was married, in Alton, Ill. to Miss Clara Ebbler, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of Herman and Frances Ebbler, both parents having their birth in Germany. Mr. Ebbler was a prosperous farmer of Jersey county, and died there in 1892; his widow is still living on the old farm, where she has made her home since leaving the Fatherland. Mr. and Mrs. Lippoldt are the parents of two bright children, a son and a daughter, Amelia and Otto, in whom are centered many fond hopes and expectations. The life of Mr. Lippoldt has been one of great activity, not unmixed with pleasurable and interesting experiences. His career illustrates what a young man can accomplish in the face of many adverse circumstances, if he is industrious and actuated by proper motives. He has always been energetic, and, though at times the future may have looked discouraging, he never lost heart, but took advantage of every opportunity calculated in any way to advance his interests. With good business abilities and a discriminating judgment, he has prospered in his various undertakings and bids fair to achieve still greater success in years to come. Personally, he is an affable gentleman, quiet in demeanor and belongs to that large and eminently respectable class whose actions speak louder than words. In religion he is an earnest and devout member of the Lutheran church, as is also his wife.
This substantial cattleman, having his productive and extensive ranch on the Laramie River, in Laramie county, Wyoming, was born in Louisville, Kentucky, on April 26, 1850. His father was a native of Louisville, a carpenter by trade, but who, believing in the justice of the cause of the South, served in the Confederate army throughout the Civil War. John J. McCormick was educated in his native city and resided there until he was twenty years of age, when he came west, arriving in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in 1872, and was soon employed by the U. S. government in freighting supplies to Fort Laramie, Sidney and to other northern posts, and later he commenced working on the range. In 1890 he settled on the Laramie River one and one-half miles west of his present ranch, engaged in the cattle trade and lived there until 1891, when he removed to his present place on the river, eleven miles east of the fort. Mr. McCormick was united in marriage on May 27, 1885, on the Laramie River, at the P. C. ranch, to Miss Minnie L. Sutherland, a native of Denver, Colo., and a daughter of James H. and Emma P. (Boler) Sutherland, the former of whom was born in New York and the latter in Kentucky. The McCormick family is of Scottish origin and the immediate ancestors of John J., were settlers in New York state in Colonial days. The Sutherlands were also of Scottish ancestry. James H. Sutherland, the father of Mrs. McCormick, remained in New York until he was seventeen years of age, when he came west and located at Denver, Colo., here engaged in mining until 1861. and then enlisted in Co. D, First Colorado Cavalry, in which he became disabled after one year's service, took a position in the sutler's store attached to the camp and in this employment served out the remainder of this term of enlistment. Before the war Mr. Sutherland had started west from Kansas City with a large quantity of merchandise belonging to others and valued at $5,000. While camping on the Platte River near Julesburg, Colorado, he was raided by Indians and robbed of everything and was forced to return to the city from which he had departed. After the war Mr. Sutherland married in Kansas City, Mo., and with two teams traveled across the plains to Colorado, then built the first hotel in Denver, the St. Charles. This he conducted about two and one-half years, and in 1867 removed to a ranch on Cherry Creek, nine miles from Denver, and engaged in the cattle business for about two years, when he was forced to retire on account of trouble with the Indians, and he was next engaged in mining near Central City, which he followed until 1876. He then started for the Black Hills, but on reaching Fort Laramie, was warned by the soldiers of the Indian troubles then existing, and he consequently took up a ranch on the Laramie River, twelve miles from the fort, engaged in the cattle business and there resided until his death on February 17, 1891, being then the oldest settler in the section and he was buried on the old homestead. His wife had died on May 17, 1879. John J. McCormick possesses all the inherent shrewdness of the indomitable race from which he descends, and this is made manifest in every transaction of his life. He also possesses the deep-seated religious sentiment with which the Scots are indued, and his walk through life has been marked by the strictest integrity. He has made hosts of friends since he has resided in Laramie county, who admire him for his straightforward and manly conduct, as well as for his genial disposition and open-handed generosity.
In this enlightened and utilitarian age, when men of industry, energy and merit are rapidly pushing themselves to the front, those who by their own unaided efforts have won favor in positions of trust may properly claim recognition. Within the last quarter of a century there have come to the Great West men of moderate financial resources but evincing that sturdy independence and determination which entitles them to a place in the history of the section with which they have been identified. The career of Mr. Charles C. Palmer forcibly illustrates the possibilities open to a man possessing keen intelligence and sterling business qualifications and it proves that neither wealth, social position, nor the assistance of influential friends is at all requisite in placing an individual on the road to success. Charles C. Palmer, manager of the Pratt and Ferris Cattle Co.'s interests in Laramie county. Wyoming, was born in Washington county, Rhode Island, on January 6. 1860. His ancestors came to this country in an early day from England, settling in Rhode Island where the family has been represented for a great many years. Oliver G. Palmer, the father of the one of whom we are now writing, was born and reared in the above state, passing all of his life in the county of Washington, dying in March, 1863. By occupation he was a shoemaker ; his wife, formerly Miss Lydia Lewis, was also a native of Rhode Island, and some time after his death she went to Illinois, thence to Nebraska, dying in the latter state in December, 1887. Charles C. Palmer was quite a small child when his father died and to his mother's careful training is he largely indebted for the instruction and admonition which gave bent to his destiny for good. When ten years old he accompanied her to Piper City, Ford county. Ill., where the family lived from 1870 until 1880, Charles meanwhile attending school. The educational discipline acquired at Piper City was supplemented by a full course at Grand Prairie Seminary, Onarga, Ill., where he pursued his studies until attaining his majority, when he engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ford county, where he remained until 1886, when he accompanied his mother to Cheyenne county, Neb., now Scotts Bluffs county, and entered a tract of government land. He retained this place until 1891 when he came to Wyoming, settling in Laramie county, where he carried on agriculture until the spring of 1892, then going to the northern part of the state and, engaging in ranch work near the town of Sheridan, he continued in that capacity during the ensuing six years. In 1895 he accepted a position with the Pratt and Ferris Cattle Co., to take charge of the ranches near the above place and from that time to the present he has looked after their interests in various parts of the country. For three years he was foreman of the Big Red ranch, the home and headquarters of the company, one of the largest and best improved properties of the kind in the state. In the spring of 1898 he was transferred to the ranch on Platte River, twelve miles east of Fort Laramie, of which he has been superintendent to the present time. This is also a large and valuable property, having the finest buildings of any ranch in this section of the state and being one of the most important of the company's possessions. As foreman and manager of the large interests entrusted to him Mr. Palmer has demonstrated not only sound judgment and executive ability of a high order, but has also become one of the most experienced stockmen in Wyoming. By making his employer's interests his own, he has won their unbounded confidence and in all matters of business pertaining to the ranch with which he is connected his advice and counsel have much weight. His experience has been such as to gain not only the good will of the company, but that of other stockmen of this part of the state, among whom he is held in high personal esteem. Mr. Palmer has maintained a lively interest in all that pertains to the legitimate advancement and material prosperity of the county in which he lives, believing in enterprise in all the term implies, he has bent all of his energies in that direction and in many ways has contributed to the industrial and general development of his part of the state. In addition to the high position he holds, Mr. Palmer owns a ranch which he rents, the property returning him a liberal income besides annually advancing in value. By industry and economy he has succeeded in acquiring no inconsiderable fortune, being now in comfortable circumstances as far as finances are concerned and well situated to enjoy the fruits of his labors. A gentleman of unimpeachable integrity he discharges the duties of citizenship as becomes a loyal American and true lover of his state and nation. He was married in Ford county, Ill., on January 13, 1881, with Miss Jennie McLeod of that state, and is the father of two children, Miss Fannie E. and Harry M. Mr. Palmer has now the charge of two ranches on the Platte, and both under his able management have become among the most valuable of the several large properties which the Pratt and Ferris Company own.
This well-known gentleman is one of the sturdy American citizens to whose intelligence, sterling honesty and sturdy industry the great West is indebted for much of the prosperity which it today enjoys. He is a native of Hanover, Germany, and dates his birth upon March 4. 1845. His parents, also natives of Hanover, were George and Mary (Blanck) Ritterling. the father for many years being a manufacturer of flour in the land of his nativity. Both parents passed their lives in Hanover and, side by side, they sleep the dreamless sleep of death in the same old cemetery in which rests all that is mortal of many generations of their ancestors. Until his fourteenth year Henry remained with his parents and attended the public schools. At that early age he was thrown upon his own resources and during the seven years following worked as a farm hand. On attaining his majority he joined the Hanoverian army and served as a soldier until the consolidation of the different German countries into the German empire, when, not caring to remain longer under the government thus established, he left the Fatherland and came to the United States, where, for some time after his arrival, he worked in a grist-mill at Rochester, N. Y., and later was employed in a lamp factory in the same city until occurred his enlistment on September 12, 1870, when he joined Co. L, Fifth U. S. Cavalry. He was first ordered to Fort McPherson, Neb., where the command remained one year, being then transferred to Camp Grant, Ariz., at which place it was stationed until 1875, then going into camp at Graham Mountains, where Mr. Ritterling passed one summer and the following winter saw considerable active service fighting the Indians who had become very troublesome. The regiment was kept quite busy operating against the wily foe until the next spring, when it was ordered to Fort Lyons, Colo., remaining there until transferred to Fort Robinson in 1876. It was on the latter march that Mr. Ritterling passed through the part of Wyoming which he subsequently selected for his home. From Fort Robinson he accompanied his command to Fort McPherson, and, in 1877, was sent to Fort Washakie, Wyo., and thereafter marched to join the forces under Generals Sherman and Crook through the Big Horn country, passing on the way over the country of Custer's disastrous fight on the Rosebud and also witnessing many other points of interest. After fighting the Indians to a finish and spending the winter of 1877-78 at Fort Russell, Mr. Ritterling's regiment was sent against the savages in the northern part of Wyoming, in the fall of 1878 returning to Fort Washakie, where it remained until 1880. The next move was to Fort Robinson, when the period of enlistment of Mr. Ritterling expired and he received his discharge at that place on September 12. 1880. Mr. Ritterling's military experience in this country covered one of the most exciting periods in the history of the West and, from the time of entering the army until honorably discharged, he proved his loyalty and bravery by faithful, conscientious and dangerous service. He was with his command in many thrilling and dangerous situations, but never shirked a duty, however onerous, and was ready to march against the foe whenever it was necessary so to do. In his own country he also saw much active service and has in his possession the discharge which speaks of faithful performance of duty and honorable conduct during his period of enlistment. On severing his connection with the army Mr. Ritterling spent the following winter on a visit to the familiar scenes of his native land, but returned to the United States in 1881 and accepted a position as an ambulance driver with General Crook's command at the military post of Owaho, Wyo. In the fall of the above year he was employed by the government to drive a number of mules to Fort Collins, Colo., and, after remaining at that place until the spring of 1882, he came to Laramie county, Wyo., and purchased his present ranch, located three miles west of Fort Laramie, where he has since been engaged in cattle raising. His ranch is situated on the Laramie River and among its improvements are a building and a corral, which were erected about forty years ago when the place was a station on the old California trail. Mr. Ritterling has made many additional improvements on his land and now owns 600 acres, all lying on the Laramie River and especially well adapted for cattle raising. It is also a historic location and is far the best-known ranch in this part of the state. Mr. Ritterling is very widely and favorably known among the successful live stock men of the county in which he lives. He was married in the summer of 1883 to Miss Margaret Hars, of Germany, the ceremony being solemnized in the . city of Cheyenne. After a short but happy wedded experience, Mrs. Ritterling was called to her reward, dying on July 9, of the year following her marriage. She possessed excellent traits of character and was a devoted member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Ritterling is also identified with that body of worshipers.
This successful stockman and representative citizen of (Goshen) Laramie county, Wyoming, was born in the county of Sangamon, Ill., on January 7, 1834, his father, John Rutherford, being a native of Vermont and his mother, whose maiden name was Esther Constant, was born in Kentucky, where her marriage took place. As early as 1824 they moved to Sangamon county, Ill., where the father carried on agricultural pursuits until his death about ten years later; Mrs. Rutherford departed this life in August, 1866, and in dreamless sleep rests by the side of her husband in the old cemetery in Sangamon county. Alexander Rutherford was but an infant when his father died and his early training fell to the lot of his mother, who spared no pains in bringing him up in the way he should go. He attended school winters until arriving at young manhood's estate and from the time he proved of practical service until his twentieth year he remained with his mother and looked carefully after her interests. On October 20, 1852, he was united in marriage at Springfield. Ill., with Miss Sarah A. Kent, daughter of John and Marietta (Myers) Kent of Ohio, and for three years thereafter he cultivated the home farm in Sangamon county, then moving to Iowa where he followed agriculture for three years and then returned to Illinois and again took charge of the old homestead. Two years later he purchased a farm near his mother's place, but in an adjoining county, on which he lived and prospered for six years, then selling out and moving to Champaign county where he continued cultivating the soil until 1879, when he disposed of his interests in Illinois and moved to Costilla county, Colo., and engaged in cattle raising until 1886, when he changed his location to Boulder, continuing at the latter place until 1891, at which time he sought a new field in Laramie county, Wyo., taking up his present ranch on the Platte River, two miles east of Fort Laramie. The career of Mr. Rutherford appears to belief the old adage that "a rolling stone gathers no moss." for most of his changes have been decidedly for the better. He now owns a finely situated ranch of over 800 acres, having an abundance of water and herbage sufficient to maintain much more stock than the place can accommodate. His success since moving to his present location has been most gratifying, and he ranks with the leading, enterprising and progressive stockmen of the district, also standing well as a citizen, enjoying in a pronounced degree the confidence and esteem of the public. To see Mr. Rutherford at his best it is necessary to meet him in the quiet of the family circle, for his domestic relations are almost ideal and few are so fortunately situated. His five surviving children have been provided with the best educational and social advantages obtainable. They are young ladies of refinement and culture, popular with the best element of society and having a large number of friends and acquaintances in society circles of Laramie county. Their names are Hester, Lydia, Jennie, Nettie and Sarah. Harriet, the oldest of the family, and Ellen, the fourth in order of birth of the children, are dead. Nettie, the next to the youngest daughter, is the postmaster of Fort Laramie, and has proven a most efficient and popular official, being a talented and accomplished young lady, well fitted by natural endowment and educational discipline for the position. Mrs. Rutherford has discharged well her duties of wifehood and motherhood, and by her pure life, sterling virtues and exemplary character has won an abiding place in the affections of the people.
The life of the well-known subject of this sketch has been largely identified with the great West, and few men are better acquainted with the various states and territories in which he has operated in various capacities. His career has been fraught with interesting, experiences and thrilling adventures, for to him have come many of life's ups and downs; the former finally predominating. He is now fortunately situated, owning one of the finest ranches in the county of Laramie, and, as a successful raiser of live stock, easily ranks with the leading men of that great industry throughout the state. John Ryan was born in County Limerick, Ireland, on April 15, 1848, and is the son of John and Mary E. (Hayes) Ryan, his parents being also natives of the Emerald Isle. In January, 1849. John Ryan removed his family to the United States and, after spending a short time farming in New York, changed his abode to Indiana, settling near the town of Lexington, where he carried on agricultural operations until 1855. In that year he migrated to Holt county. Mo., in which county and the adjoining one of Buchanan, he lived until his removal to Kansas in 1866. There he settled not far from Kansas City and spent the remainder of his life in that locality, dying a number of years ago. The subject of this review remained with his parent until fifteen years old, at which early age he severed the home ties and started out to seek his own fortune, going first to Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where he secured employment as a freighter for the U. S. government. In 1866 he assisted to haul material for the construction of Fort Phil Kearney, in the northern part of Wyoming, and, after remaining six months at that place, went to Fort McPherson, where he worked during the winter following. In 1867 Mr. Ryan went to Fort Russell, where he was in the employ of the government until the fall of 1871. at which time he resumed freighting, operating between Cheyenne and the Black Hills and from the former place, and Sidney, to all northern points and government posts until 1882. While thus engaged, his life was one of constant activity, attended at all times by thrilling experiences and of dangers not a few. He also enjoyed excellent opportunities in the way of observing the country, and comparing the relative advantages of the different parts as places of residence. Being pleased with the region adjacent to the Laramie River, six miles west of Fort Laramie, Mr. Ryan, in 1877, took up his present ranch, but did nothing in the way of its improvement until he quit freighting in 1882. In that year he moved to the place, and at once engaged in the cattle business, which he has since carried on with success and profit. >From time to time, he added to the area of his land, until, his ranch now includes an area of 500 acres, and, in many respects, it is one of the finest and most valuable properties of the kind on the Laramie River. He has here made a number of substantial improvements, and, by the exercise of sound business qualities, he has amassed a sufficiency of this world's goods to place him, not only in comfortable circumstances, but to make him independent for the rest of his days. Mr. Ryan's wide and varied experience throughout the West brought him in contact with all classes and conditions of people, the result being to enlarge his practical knowledge of the world and to better fit him. to manage the large business interests which he now controls. Possessing the genuine humor and natural wit peculiar to him naturally, he is a most amiable gentleman and congenial companion, the very soul of good fellowship, and hi; company is much sought by those who enjoy the pleasure of his acquaintance. He is one of the honored pioneers of this state, and has not only witnessed its growth and development, but has aided its progress and advancement, faithfully performing the ,duties of citizenship, discharging every trust reposed in him by his fellow men. Mr. Ryan was married on December 22. 1887. to Maria, a daughter of Isaac and Maria Thompson, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Ohio, and. at the present time living in Kansas. Besides himself and wife, the family of Mr. Ryan now consists of four children, Maggie. Bridget, Janet and Louise, for Kate, the youngest child, is not living.
In the daily laborious struggle for an honorable competence and a successful career on the part of the average business or professional man, there is little to attract the reader in search of a sensational chapter. But to the mind thoroughly awake to the reality and meaning of human life there are many noble and imperishable lessons in the career of an individual, who, without other means than a clear head, strong arms and true heart, directed and controlled by devout principle and sound judgment, conquers adversity and finally wins, not only pecuniary reward, hut. what is of far greater value, the respect and confidence of those with whom his active years have brought him in contact. Such an individual was the late Thomas B. Sandercock of Fort Laramie, whose honorable career as man and citizen reflected credit upon himself and family and added to the good name of the place of his residence. Mr. Sandercock was a native of Wayne county, Pa., where his birth occurred on April 12, 1844. His parents, George and Mary (Bellamy) Sandercock, were born in England and came to America in the early forties, settling in the above county , and state, where the father engaged in agricultural pursuits. George Sandercock met with fair success as a farmer, earned the reputation of an honorable citizen and after a long and useful career departed this life in 1885 and his widow is still living on the Pennsylvania homestead, having reached a ripe old age with the retrospect of a well-spent life behind her. Thomas B. Sandercock was reared to farm labor, early became familiar with the varied phases of agriculture and remained under the parental" roof until his marriage, which was solemnized on September 5. 1867, with Miss Hattie A. Schenck, a native of the same county in which he first saw the light of day. After his marriage he engaged in fanning and in connection therewith operated a sawmill, meeting with encouraging success both as a tiller of the soil and a manufacturer of lumber. Subsequently, about 1871, in partnership with a brother, he opened a store in the town of Ariel, Wayne county, and was thus engaged for five years when failing health obliged him to discontinue sedentary life and seek a more wholesome and congenial clime. Accordingly in 1879 Sandercock disposed of his interest in the firm and came to Wyoming, locating first near Cheyenne, where he embarked in the sawmilling business and also dealt in lumber. In 1881 he was joined by his family in Cheyenne and one year later he went to Utah to purchase cattle, leaving his wife and children in the city. On his return he stopped at Fort Laramie and was there offered the position of engineer in a large sawmill, which commanding a liberal salary he saw fit to accept. In due time his family removed to Fort Laramie and from 1882 to his death he continued his duties as an engineer, providing well for those depending on him, besides laying up a comfortable surplus for future contingencies. Mr. Sandercock was a man of energy and possessed sound judgment and business ability of of no mean order. He discharged worthily every duty coming within his sphere, enjoyed the esteem of his employees and all others with whom he mingled, and his death, which occurred on December 20, 1886, was an event greatly deplored in the city of his residence. Fraternally, he was an active -member of the Masonic brotherhood, belonging to the lodge at Salem. Pa., in which he was inducted into the mysteries of the order when a young man. Mrs. Sandercock is the daughter of John H. and Mary (Hoel) Schenck, both parents natives of Wayne county, Pa., and descendants of German immigrants who settled in that part of the Keystone State prior to the Revolution period. The Schencks and Hoels were represented in the War of Independence, members of both families joining the Colonial army at the breaking out of the struggle, fighting bravely and gallantly until the British and their hirelings were forever driven from the land. John H. Schenck was a farmer and followed that useful calling with varied success until his death in 1876: his wife survived him until 1883 when she too entered into rest. The former is buried near the old family home in Pennsylvania, but the latter sleeps in the cemetery at Fort Laramie, having been an inmate of her daughter's household at the time of her death. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Sandercock has lived at Fort Laramie looking after her children's interests, superintending their education and managing their business affairs in an able and most praiseworthy manner. When Fort Laramie was dismantled and abandoned she purchased her present home and at the opening of the reservation filed on land which has since greatly increased in value. Her sons also took up claims and, with an eye to each other's interests, they have mutually cooperated until they are now in affluent circumstances, owning over 1,000 acres of land, on which they have a large number of cattle. In keeping their children together and bending all of her energies in the direction of their benefit, Mrs. Sandercock has displayed wisdom and forethought as rare as they are admirable, and the success the sons have achieved in their various undertakings is directly attributable to her wisely-directed efforts in their behalf. She not only possesses business abilities of a high order but a beautiful moral character, which, with her many other admirable qualities, have won her many warm friends among the best social circles of the city and made her popular with all classes and conditions of people. The following are the names of the children : George, Mary A., William M., Thomas E. , Otis A., Stella G., Florence S., C. Meade.
While Wyoming is more generally known by reason of its great mineral productions, undeveloped mines and natural resources, it also enjoys a high reputation for extensive ranches devoted to the production of high grade cattle, horses and sheep, an industry that has engaged the attention of capitalists from abroad and been the means of placing the thrifty settler in the front rank of prosperity. Agriculture has also come rapidly to the front as one of the chief sources of wealth and in connection with the stock business it has served as the foundation of general prosperity and not infrequently of fortune to those engaged in it. Among the successful agriculturists and stockmen of (Goshen) Laramie county, who have won recognition and added luster to the localities in which they reside, Alfred Smith of Banks is a conspicuous example. He comes of an old eastern family and traces his genealogy in this country to an early period in the history of New Jersey. His parents, Peter and Mary (Daly) Smith, both natives of that state, soon after their marriage went to New York, and in 1832 to Champaign county, Ohio, where the father engaged in farming and there and in Logan county he lived and flourished until 1850, when he sold his interests and removed to Mahaska county, la., where he followed farming until his death on June 26, 1891, his wife surviving him until 1895, when she, too, was laid to rest in the cemetery at Oskaloosa. Their son Alfred passed his childhood and youth on the family homestead in Iowa, where he was born on March 1, 1853, enjoying such educational privileges as the public schools afforded and remaining at home until nearly eighteen years old, assisting his father with the varied labors on the farm. In 1871 he went to Marshalltown and found employment as a farm hand and continued working in that capacity until 1875, when after spending the winter in Missouri, he returned home and again assisted his father on the farm. From the fall of 1876 until 1883 he resided in Illinois, when he once more took up his abode in his native county as a farmer. This business he conducted there with success until some years later he located in Scott's Bluff county, Neb., where he took up land and devoted his attention to farming until April, 1893, when he came to Wyoming, there entering the employ of the Swan Land & Cattle Co., as foreman of Rock ranch on the Platte River and holding this important position until December 3, 1901, when he resigned and took up his residence on an adjoining ranch which had come into his possession in 1897. Previous to locating on his own place he erected thereon a fine two-story stone dwelling, fitted with modern conveniences, it being the first and by far the largest and most complete structure of the kind on the Platte River. He also built substantial barns and other outbuildings, and made other essential improvements so as to properly equip the place for properly carrying on farming and stock raising on an extensive scale. In addition to his home place, which consists of 300 acres of rich tillable land twenty-three miles east of Fort Laramie, he owns 390 acres in Scott's Bluff county, Neb. He is deeply and earnestly interested in breeding and rearing fine grades of live stock and has large herds in excellent condition. He has spared no pains or expense in beautifying and adding to the attractiveness of his elegant home, and having one of the finest landed estates in the county, he is well situated to enjoy the fruits of his many years of labor and success. In numerous ways Mr. Smith has exhibited a public spirit and that desire for the general good which marks him as a man of broad and enlightened ideas, one that intuitively sees the needs of the community and suggests the means of providing for them speedily and effectively. He has been a stimulating force to his people and through his influence the material interests of his section have been largely enhanced and its social conditions correspondingly benefited. He is widely known and highly esteemed and his dealings with his fellow men have been characterized by the integrity and sense of honor always to be found in the true gentleman and the really enterprising and wise man of affairs. He was married at Toulon, Ill., on December 24, 1881, with Miss Mattie McCompsey, daughter of Charles and Mary C. (Godfrey) McCompsey, natives of Illinois but now residents of Scott's Bluff county, Neb. The Smiths have an interesting family of five children, Eunice, Benjamin F., Ada, Ettie and Hazel.
The sturdy German element in our national commonwealth has been one of the most important and forceful factors in furthering the normal and substantial development of the country. As a class they are proverbially industrious and frugal, signally appreciative of practical values, also of the higher intellectuality which transcribes provincial confines. Well may any person take pride in tracing his lineage to such a source, for it is from the Fatherland that much of the moral backbone and sinew of our composite nationality has been derived. Carl Stein, the subject of this review, is one of the sterling citizens that the great German nation has contributed to the American republic, and, as such, his name is eminently worthy of mention in a biographical compendium of Wyoming's successful, self-made men. Carl Stein, who is now engaged in cattle raising operations about five miles north of Fort Laramie, was born in Germany on December 13, 1865, the son of Chris and Bertie (Rinehart) Stein. By occupation the father is a miner, still working at this vocation in his native country. Carl Stein was reared to maturity near the place of his birth and received his educational training in the public schools, attending them until a youth in his teens. When old enough to be of practical service, he began working with his father in the mines, and so continued to do until 1890, when, thinking the United States abounded in better opportunities for a young man than obtained in his native land, he bade farewell to friends and the familiar scenes of his childhood, and took passage for the great country across the sea. Reaching his destination he made his way direct to Hartville, Wyo., where for one year, he labored in the mines, at the expiration of that time engaging in railroad construction. Mr. Stein continued in the employ of the railroad company until 1899, at which time he moved to his present ranch near Fort Laramie, and turned his attention exclusively to cattle raising. He acquired the ranch in 1892, but his affairs at that time were not in proper condition for him to take possession, so he spent the intervening years formulating plans and perfecting arrangements for his future career as one of the country's successful stockmen. Since taking up his residence on the ranch, Mr. Stein's business has grown in magnitude and importance, presenting a series of continued successes, and, today, he easily ranks with the enterprising and well-to-do men of his calling in the vicinity of Fort Laramie. His time is entirely given to his business, and the excellent condition of the ranch, and everything that is thereon, indicates the care with which he supervises all of his affairs. He is a man of sound judgment and practical ideas, being plentifully endowed with the best and most desirable of all qualities, good common sense. He is progressive in his methods, and to his energy and perseverance are attributed the gratifying results that have attended his efforts since becoming a citizen of the great West. Fidelity is one of his chief characteristics, such fidelity as is manifest in his devotion to his family, his friends and to his adopted country, and, in the faithful discharge of all of the duties of life, it has won him warm and lasting regard wherever known. In 1887 Mr. Stein was united in marriage with Miss Minnie Kenast, of Germany, a daughter of Frederick and Wilhelmina (Barman) Kenast, a union blessed with three children, Louisa, Hattie and Paul. The Lutheran church represents the religious creed of Mr. Stein, his wife also belonging to the same body of worshipers.
To sketch the life of a busy man of affairs, and, in a manner, to throw a well-focused light upon the principal events of his career, is the task in hand in writing of the well-known gentleman whose name furnishes the caption of this article. Henry J. Thomas is a native of Ohio, born in the county of Carroll on April 30, 1865. His parents, Daniel and Margaret Thomas, were born in Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively, the father for a number of years being a farmer in the latter state. In 1866 Daniel Thomas moved his family to Missouri, and engaged in the manufacture of woolen fabrics at Plattsburg. He continued in that business until his mill was destroyed by fire, in 1875, and, two years later, he came to Wyoming and bought a ranch a short distance east of the city of Cheyenne. From that date until his retirement from active life a few years ago, he was interested in the cattle industry, a part of the time in partnership with his son, who is the subject of this review. Mrs. Thomas died in 1870 and was buried at Plattsburg, Mo. The childhood and early youth of Henry J. Thomas were spent in Plattsburg. and he received a good education in the schools of that city. In 1879, when fourteen years of age, he accompanied his father to Wyoming, and, for some time thereafter, worked on the ranch near Cheyenne, acquiring within a few years a valuable practical experience in the live stock business. Actuated by a commendable desire to fit himself for business life, he went to Chicago, in 1882, and took a full commercial and business course in the Bryant & Stratton Business College, after which he returned to Wyoming and resumed ranching operations with his father. A little later they became associated in the cattle business, and continued as partners until 1896. when Henry purchased the entire interest, and became sole proprietor of the ranch. He remained where his father originally located until 1896, in August of which year he bought his present ranch, situated nine miles east of Fort Laramie, and, since that time, he has been quite extensively engaged in cattle raising, meeting with the success commensurate to the energy by him displayed in the business affairs. He has taken great pains in improving his place, especially in the way of buildings, having one of the finest and most convenient residences on the river, the beautiful grounds adding greatly to the attractiveness of the premises, the whole bespeaking the home of a family of culture and good taste. Mr. Thomas is one of the leading stockmen of his section, and, as a citizen, occupies a commanding position in the community. Early taught to rely upon his own resources, he began courageously the struggle of life, and, in the years that followed, he not only worked his way upward in a business sense, but his honorable course has commanded the respect of those with whom he has been brought in contact. His sound judgment, unimpeachable integrity and practical experience, together with his adaptability to business, and his keen insight into human nature, have fitted him well for almost any calling in life. The splendid condition of everything on his ranch attests the interest Mr. Thomas manifests in both his home and business. His place, known as the Grattan ranch, was the scene of one of the most thrilling experience in the annals of Laramie county, which forms quite an interesting chapter in the history of the state. Briefly stated, it appears that on October 6, 1854, a squad of United States soldiers and a number of huntsmen came to his place for the purpose of demanding from the Indians a certain member of the tribe, accused of the committal of some gross offense. The demand was met with an indignant refusal to deliver the accused Indian, and, in the fight that followed, the savages greatly outnumbering the whites, every man in the Federal company was killed. This is known as the Grattan massacre, and has been described in full by various writers and appears in different histories of Wyoming and the West. Mr. Thomas was married on December 6, 1892, in the city of Cheyenne, with Miss Mary J. Hauphoff, a daughter of Joseph J. and Mary Hauphoff, and four children have resulted from the union, D. Lloyd, Guy E., Mildred and Cleon H., all living. Mr. Thomas takes an active interest in whatever makes for the good of the community, materially, morally or educationally, and his name appears in connection with all enterprises having these ends in view. As a member of the local board of education, and an official thereof, he has done much to promote the efficiency of the schools in his district, and, in other ways, has been mindful of the interests of the young and rising generation. He is a good man, a worthy citizen, well meriting the honor and esteem in which he is held by the people of his own and other communities of the commonwealth.
There are few who can more justly claim the proud American title of self-made man than the well-known subject of this review, who, at the tender age of twelve years, was thrown upon his own resources with a limited ' educational training, and no especial fitness or adaptation for the cares and responsibilities of life. He was industrious, determined, ambitious and resolute, however, and these, with other admirable qualities, stood him in stead of fortune, enabling him to overcome difficulties and obstacles in his path and work his way steadily upward to the plane where success places the laurel upon the victor's brow. From early boyhood to the present time, his life has been replete with incident and adventure, and, were it put in permanent form upon the printed page, his career would make a volume of rare and absorbing interest. Richard Whalon is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Carbon county in 1842, his parents being Richard and Julia (Campion) Whalon. natives of Ireland, but for many years residents of Pennsylvania, both dying in that state. By occupation the father was both a brick and a stonemason, and earned more than local repute as an efficient and successful workman and builder. As stated in the introductory lines, Richard Whalon was a the introductory lines, Richard Whalon was a mere lad when he started in the world to make courage him or to give him prestige, and, with no capital but a naturally bright mind, a strong will, a determined purpose and a laudable ambition to make the .most of his opportunities, he left the scenes of his childhood's home at the age of twelve years, then accepting the position of pantry boy on a coasting steamer, plying between New York, and ports of the southern coast states. After serving in this capacity for a period of five years, winning the confidence of his employers and the good will of all the officers and hands aboard the vessel, he resigned his position, and. returning to- Pennsylvania, worked for two years in the coal mines. In 1861 he quit mining and went to Washington, D. C.. where he engaged with the U. S. government as a teamster, continuing to serve as such about three years, during the greater part of which time he was connected with the telegraph department. At the close of the Civil War Mr. Whalon returned to Pennsylvania, but did not long remain there, starting west in 1865, with Leavenworth, Kan., as his objective point. Reaching his destination in due time, he engaged as a teamster to freight goods across the plains to Denver, making his first through trip in the fall of 1866. During the ensuing winter and spring, he remained in Denver, variously employed, and then began freighting to different points in the northern and western territories. In this way he spent two seasons, meeting with many interesting and thrilling experiences, proving himself an industrious, careful and faithful employee. Mr. Whalon brought his first load of freight to Fort Laramie in 1868. and he has practically made this section of country his base of operations ever since. For about nine years, he divided his time between freighting and cattle raising. and, at the end of that time, located permanently in the latter business. He resided on Chugwater Creek from 1868 until 1877, and, in the latter year, brought his stock to his present ranch, which lies about ten miles northwest of Fort Laramie, and here he has been actively engaged in raising cattle and horses to the present time. His place, consisting of 500 acres of valuable grazing land, is admirably situated for general stock purposes, containing a plentiful supply of water and an abundance of the luxuriant, nutritious grasses for which the valleys of this part of Wyoming have long been noted. Being the first actual settler in the valley, Mr. Whalon had the "pick and choice" of locations, and. after carefully examining the country, and comparing the merits and advantages of the different parts, he did not long hesitate in selecting, as the nucleus of his estate, a portion of the beautiful and finely situated tract, embraced within the limits of his present ranch. He made temporary improvements on the place long before settlers were permitted to locate in this part of the territory or the land opened to settlers, and was several times warned by the commandant at Fort Laramie to remove his belongings and vacate the ranch. With a persistency characteristic of the man. he refused to hearken to these pre-empting demands, but stayed on, fully cognizant of the fact that he was laying himself liable to arrest, or, at least, to forcible ejection, at the hands of the military. For some reason he was not molested, and, from that time to the present, he has remained in an undisputed possession, meanwhile complying with the legal requirements necessary to secure permanent right to the government land. During the first few years of his lonely life in the valley, he was frequently in danger of being driven out or murdered by the Indians, especially when the savages on the Chugwater tried to steal or run off his cattle. To protect himself and his stock from these marauders, he was obliged to hire a number of men to watch the ranch, and this, too, at no little expense, for several years elapsed before the valley was safe from these thieving and murderous incursions. In due time, however, the redskins were driven to other parts, a tide of immigration set in and all available grazing lands were soon taken up by stockmen, who made permanent settlements. Mr. Whalon is one of the most experienced cattlemen in the West, as his long and varied experience on the range abundantly proves. In the course of his experience he has traversed the greater part of nearly every western state and territory, coming into contact with all classes and conditions of people, and, by personal experience, learning all about the business that is practically worth knowing. His success since locating on his present place has been most marked, and today he is financially one of the strong and reliable stockmen of the Fort Laramie section, owning one of the best ranches in the country, which he has abundantly stocked with the finest grades of cattle and horses. Not only has he been successful in stock raising, but in outside affairs he is considered one of the leading men of his section, being recognized for his sound and far-seeing judgment and respected for his good character and sterling worth. Mr. Whalon is a splendid specimen of the intelligent, enterprising and progressive western men. Inheriting from his immediate ancestors the vivacity, generosity, and the spirit of wit and humor, for which the Irish people have long been justly celebrated, he is the life of any company into which he may be thrown, and his personal popularity is only bounded by the limits beyond which his name is not familiar. Notwithstanding the numerous hardships and rough experience through which he has passed, he is still strong, hardy and well-preserved, full of life and spirit, and makes his presence felt wherever he goes and among all people with whom he mingles. In his relations with his fellow men, in business or otherwise, his dealings have been above the suspicion of wrong and his name is synonymous with all that is honorable and upright in citizenship. The name is also indelibly fixed in the geography of this part of Wyoming, "Whalon Canyon" having been so called in compliment to him, as was also "Whalon Station," a village on the railroad. Mr. Whalen reads much and keeps himself well informed upon the great questions now of the people, especially those relating to state and national legislation. From the beginning, his career has been a checkered one, and it forcibly illustrates what a boy. properly endowed, can accomplish in the face of obstacles calculated to discourage the strongest heart and most determined will. Throughout all Mr. Whalon has been directed and controlled by correct principles, and his life, measured by the highest standard of excellence, presents little to criticize and much to commend. There is nothing small or intolerant in his nature, for, belonging to that class of men who believe politics to be a matter of principle, and religion largely a matter of conscience, he has little patience with the bigot, and is ever ready to accord to others the rights he claims for himself. He is appreciative of whatever is honorable in man, and recognizes in every being, however humble, the spark of divinity which bespeaks a heavenly origin and a noble destiny. In closing this review, it is not too much to say for Mr. Whalon, that no man in his section of country has exerted a greater personal influence or enjoys a greater degree of popularity. He is eminently worthy of the success he has achieved, and of the high esteem in which he is held.
The German Fatherland has many creditable representatives in the New World, and, wherever found, they are noted for intelligence, thrift and enterprise. An honorable representative of this element is found in John Weber, the subject of this sketch, a man who has achieved success in civil life, and who, during the darkest period of the history of America, did loyal service for his adopted country as a soldier in the Southland. John Weber was born in the kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, on June 17, 1839, the son of Adam and Catherine Weber. Adam Weber was a farmer in the Fatherland from childhood until his death. His son, John, was reared on the home place and early learned to appreciate the dignity and nobility of honest toil. He received a good education in the schools of his native place and assisted his father with the work of the farm until attaining his majority, when he came to the United States, reaching this country when the national atmosphere was rendered murky by the approaching clouds of a great civil war. Landing in New York harbor in 1861, Mr. Weber made his way to Rochester, N. Y., where he remained variously employed until 1864, when he enlisted in Co. C, Fourteenth U. S. Infantry, with which organization he served until the close of the Civil War in the Army of the Potomac. In the regular army he served by successive reenlistments until 1881, spending the last five years of his military experience as a member of the Fifth U. S. Cavalry. During the interim between the close of the war and the expiration of his last enlistment, his command traversed various parts of the West and saw much active service. His troop of cavalry was transferred to Fort Russell, Wyo., in 1876, thence to Fort Laramie, at which place he received his discharge five years later. On quitting the service, in 1881, Mr. Weber took up a ranch, situated three miles to the east of Fort Laramie, on the Platte River, and turned his attention to cattle raising. He remained in that locality until 1888, when he moved to the ranch, five miles further to the east, which he has since owned and on which he now lives. Coming to Laramie county in a comparatively early day, Mr. Weber had a fine opportunity to make a judicious selection of land, and that he was guided by excellent judgment in his final choice, is attested by the splendid location of his ranch, it being in one of the finest valleys and richest grazing belts in this part of the state. He has made a number of valuable improvements on his place in the way of buildings, and how has a comfortable and attractive home, abundantly supplied with the comforts and conveniences calculated to make ranch life pleasant and agreeable. From a moderate beginning, he has gradually added to his stock, and, by judicious purchase, as well as by sound judgment in his sales, he has met with a success such as few attain. Mr. Weber devotes his .attention exclusively to cattle and horses, and is considered an authority on all matters pertaining to their raising. He is an excellent judge of these animals, and freely imparts his knowledge for the benefit of others engaged in the same business, which he has so long and so successfully followed. Ranking with the leading stockmen of his section, he has done much to promote the industry in Laramie county, while in many other ways, he has contributed to the development and prosperity of this part of Wyoming. Enterprising and public spirited, he takes an active interest in county affairs, using his influence and means to further any legitimate movement having for its object the general good of the country and the improvement of the people, socially or morally. He is a true American citizen, having the best interests of his adopted country at heart, as was demonstrated by his long period of severe military service. Mr. Weber married in Rochester, N. Y., on September 2, 1862, with Miss Mary Trimmel, a native of Germany and a daughter of Michael and Elizabeth (Flory) Trimmel. These parents came to America in 1849 and settled in the western part of Canada, where Mr. Trimmel followed agricultural pursuits until his death. Mrs. Weber was young when brought to the New World and spent the greater part of her single life in Canada. She possesses many excellent qualities of head and heart, is well versed in matters of business, and has ably cooperated with her husband in carrying on the industry in which he is now engaged. Not a little of hi? success is due to her wise counsel and judicious, advice. She is a lady of beautiful character, and spared no pains to instill into the minds of her offspring those principles of rectitude, which bore fruit in correct lives and exemplary conduct. This worthy married pair have had seven children, Mrs. Elizabeth Hauser; Mrs. Amelia Ouinlan; Mrs. Mary Cook : John, who died on February 24, 1901. at the age of thirty-three years: Mrs. Catherine Rarnes; Jacob; Margaret, now the wife of William F. Lawyer. Mr. Weber and family subscribe to the Catholic faith and are devoted members of the church.
Without a thought of disparagement for the many excellent people in and around Fort Laramie, perhaps none on the whole are more noteworthy or as extensively known as the genial and popular gentlemen whose name introduces this article. He belongs to the younger and aggressive generation which in the last quarter-century has done so much to develop the natural and industrial resources of one of the wealthiest parts of the American nation. Joseph Wilde was born on May 14, 1855 in Cook county, Ill., and is the son of John and Kate Wilde, both parents being natives of France. By occupation the father was a tailor and worked at his chosen calling in various towns and cities in the United States, moving in 1857 to Minnesota and settling in Henderson, where he lived for a number of years, running a shop for some time in that place but he passed the latter years of his life in St. Cloud where his death occurred in 1867, his wife preceding him to the other life in 1859. Through the death of his parents Joseph Wilde was thrown upon his own resources at a comparatively early age. He attended school in the different towns and cities where his parents lived and after the father's death entered a butcher shop in St. Paul, where he worked for two years at the meat business, becoming quite proficient in the trade. In 1873 he went to Colorado and secured a position in a meat market in the city of Denver, later going to Pueblo. After remaining in that state until the fall of 1876 he came to Fort Laramie, Wyoming, and from that time until the latter part of the next year he was in the employ of the U. S. government. In 1877 he began freighting from Cheyenne to the Black Hills and other points and continued that business until 1890, when he disposed of his outfit and located at Fort Laramie, where he has since lived and prospered. Mr. Wilde opened a house for the entertainment of the traveling public here and also engaged in the mercantile business in which his success has been most gratifying. He also carries on a blacksmithing shop, handles a full line of stoves and hardware, besides being largely interested in live stock, owning a large ranch of 600 acres at the forks of the river near the fort and one containing 240 acres a short distance to the southwest. In his various enterprises Mr. Wilde has displayed unusual energy and financially has met with success such as few attain. He is one of the leading stockmen of the Fort Laramie district, having a large number of fine cattle, horses and sheep on his ranches, while as a merchant and a hotel keeper he ranks with the most enterprising business men of the place. As indicated in the initial paragraph Mr. Wilde is a gentleman of genial nature, inheriting many of the admirable qualities and much of the vivacity for which his French ancestors were noted. He is popular with all classes and conditions of people, being a whole-hearted companion who delights in relating the thrilling experiences and daring adventures which marked the early times throughout the West. His life has been an eventful one, fraught at times with much that was thrilling and dangerous, and his name is destined to live with the local history of this region as one of the noted characters of Fort Laramie and vicinity. He has managed his affairs successfully, being today the possessor of a fortune of sufficient magnitude to place him in independent circumstances, every dollar of which was earned by honorable and straightforward business methods. Mr. Wilde is a married man, the father of one child, Louis, who was born on November 14. 1884, at Fort Laramie, Wyo. His wife, to whom he was united in marriage near the city of Cheyenne on the 6th day of August, 1883, was formerly Miss Mary Neitfeldt, a native of Germany. Mr. Wilde is a member of the Cheyenne Lodge of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and his name also adorns the records of Cheyenne Camp, No. 144, Woodmen of the World.