| Prominent among the enterprising, progressive and successful business men of Sheridan is Lyman H. Brooks, the president and general manager of the Sheridan Companv and also the president of the L. H. Brooks Realty Company. |
He was born May 5, 1856, in Sherbrooke, in the province of Quebec, Canada, a son of Samuel T. and Lucy (Mills) Brooks. His education was acquired in St. Johnsbury Academy at St. Johnsbury, Vermont, for in 1862, when but six years of age, he was taken by his parents to northern Vermont, where the period of his school life was passed. After his education was completed he was employed at St. Johnsbury by the Fairbanks Scale Manufacturing Company, with which he was connected from 1870 until 1880. He became a resident of the west in 1880 and took up his abode in what is now Sheridan county, Wyoining, where he engaged in ranching and in the live stock business for twenty-nine years or until 1909. In the meantime he also became identified with other business interests in Sheridan, becoming a member of the hardware firm of Brooks & Diefenderfer, his active connection with the business continuing from 1892 until 1903. He has also been general manager of the Sheridan Lumber Company since 1903 and in 1909 he organized and became president of the L. H. Brooks Realty Company and has since been in active control of its interests. He is a progressive, farsighted and sagacious business man, recognizing and utilizing opportunities and so directing his efforts that success in substantial measure has come to him. He is a director and was one of the organizers of the Bank of Commerce of Sheridan, which was established in 1892, and he is a director of the Sheridan Street Railway Company, and is president of the Grandview Addition Company of Sheridan. His business connections are thus extensive and prominent and have contributed in substantial measure to the upbuilding and development of the city as well as to the advancement of his individual fortunes.
Since 1912 Mr. Brooks has served as a trustee of the Wyoming State University. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he represented his district in the general assembly from 1895 until 1897. He had become a naturalized American citizen in 1877 and throughout all the intervening years he has stood loyally for what he believes to be best for the interests of county, commonwealth and country.